a handmade vintage birthday

Tuesday, February 9

i am a detail person. i blame it on my parents-they are gifted in math. while i somehow lack the math gene, God gave me the detail gene. i think they are the same except one you use as a business person and one you use as a mommy. one becomes an accountant or a nurse and the other one obnoxiously decorates for every holiday and birthday. the latter one, that's me.

and, the more children i have, the more details i get to create. i think i started thinking about spencer's birthday before i even knew what day it would be on. i looked for inspiration in birth announcements, outfits, gifts we received, and then, i found it in something so ordinary, so everyday. i found it in the 1956 home we live in. we decided we need to move this year and with each passing holiday, i have become more and more sentimental about this house. with a birthday right after christmas, i thought i would continue our vintage touched christmas with a vintage themed birthday.


having lived in old houses for a while, josh and i have a love for the 1950s so i already knew several things i would include. i used vintage photos on flickr and old recipe books for inspiration and accuracy-i told you i was obnoxious. so, on with the party . . .

i created the invites using a vintage greeting card image and rhyme. i just changed the pronouns in the rhyme to suit an invitation and not a greeting card. then, i used stickles to create accents of glitter on the image.


it reads:
she's cute and smart
and bless her heart
she's very, very dear
how did she grow so very sweet
in just one little year?

i also used vintage greeting card images to create the cake shirt. when i accidently printed the image at the wrong size, i decided to use it to greet guests as they arrived.


i made party hats  from scrapbook paper, fun fringe, ribbon, crepe paper, tulle and twill tape.

a special hat for the birthday girl

i couldn't find horns in the color scheme, so i took them apart, created a template and made my own. it's easy . . . i'll show you how soon.

luckily, i found color coordinated blow outs at walmart.

and, again, i made coordinated noisemakers by mod podging scrapbook paper to new year's noisemakers i bought on clearance.

guests dined on a buffet of 1950s themed appetizers including deviled eggs, pigs in a blanket, chips with lipton's french onion dip and a smorgasbord of pickles and olives. (once again, obnoxious about the details, thanks to the 1950s betty crocker cookbook.)

and, as the party concluded, guests created their own treat bag from the 1950s themed candy including rock candy, gum balls, nikle nips and candy necklaces.

i created cupcake toppers from even more vintage greeting cards to adorn the yummy strawberry cupcakes made by my friend.

after changing into the cake shirt i made and singing happy birthday, spencer very delicately pinched off icing bit by bit, very dainty to say the least.


as josh transitioned from film to digital, spencer decided to make a change, too.

in an apparent attempt not to get her hands dirty, she just leaned over and took bites.

once she understood the yumminess of cupcakes, she dove right in.

while spencer got cleaned up, all the big kids played pin the tail on the donkey, homemade style. once again, i couldn't find a vintage game in my color scheme, so i made my own. josh drew the donkey who looks kinda like donkey from shrek  and i added fun fringe around the edge. fun fringe is my new best friend. i love it. i could have put it on everything.

see, i even made fun fringe tails (or utters, in this case).

then, we opened presents. i love the expression on her face. she makes it all the time.

my girls.

oh, yeah, and we had a photobooth. you knew we would, didn't you?

the birthday girl in front of a vintage sheet i found at an estate sale. i love, love, loved it so much i knew i needed it. apparently, i needed it for this. 

her big sister holding an aqua frame, another estate sale find i spray painted my favorite color.

 . . . and big brother holding a handmade mustache i made. other props included vintage glasses and balloons.


another birthday has come and gone. our sweet "baby" is one. because our children's birthdays fall four months apart, i am already in the midst of another one, well, at least the dreaming and planning part. only two months and a few days to go . . . 












you can find even more images here.

22 comments:

Kris said...

What a sweet, SWEET birthday party! Oh my goodness...your pictures were awesome, too. I LOVE the party hats. And I especially love the painted frame with the kids holding it. I need to remember this one for sure. Oh, and your little girl with the cupcake in her face is absolutely priceless. That's a picture keeper for sure. So glad to have found your blog and look forward to following!

Kate @ The Gaines Gang said...

This party is to die for! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!!!!

The framed picture is a fabulous idea.

Thanks for the inspiration

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Popping over from TCB. First of all, your little girl is too cute with that cupcake. Thanks for the smile. :) I love all of the little details for this party. Everything is fabulous! The blue frame is genius!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

What a darling little birthday party.

love the pictures and the photo booth idea.

grandkids birthdays coming...may steal some ideas.

Molly said...

Oh. My. Gosh.!!!! That is a really sweet 1st birthday.
I am tired just reading about all the preparing for it!
I am amazed at your creativity...as always!!!
I think I will just call you next time I need party ideas!

Kelly said...

too precious!

Candice Pair said...

Ok I thought that I was a planner! I dont know if you remember me or not, but Im one of Kellys friends...we were at Emmas 1st birthday when I met you guys! Anyways, I just finished my blog tonight about my daughters party... then I see yours...Im going to have to borrow a few of these ideas with my next one!

beth said...

okay...since we were late, I missed some of those details. Sad! Glad to finally see them!! It was precious!

Rachel said...

AHHH-dorable. You are so crafty! WHEN do you do it all? Please tell me soon.

Haley Hall said...

How cute is that? Marybeth you are awesome! The pictures are great as usual and what beautiful eyes your baby girl has. Man I wish we were neighbors. Thanks for sharing, it's great to keep up with you and your kiddos.

Haley :)

Jennifer said...

As if I already wasn't bummed enough that we missed it, this just added to it! LOVE everything about it!

Christina Dann said...

What a sweet birthday party. I love all the little details!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! i love this idea! you did a wonderful job! i might have to copy! i cant wait to look around! thanks for sharing!

Desperately Seeking Gina said...

Lovely, lovely details! Your little ones are very lucky :)

Helen said...

I LOVE the hats and the photo booth. Beautiful pictures.

Helen said...

I LOVE the hats and the photo booth. Beautiful pictures.

CWBD Parties said...

Very cute! I've been making party hats the exact same way and used crepe paper streamers to make my fringe & poms - I had no clue they already sold the stuff fringed already!!!! My way is cheaper - but buying it would save lots of time!

Miss B said...

Came over from Birthday Girl blog loved the paper bags and please that photo of her not trying to get her hands dirty is classic! Great job:)

gina said...

Absolutely adorable birthday~ I love the pics of her eating the cupcake! Great ideas with such a vintage, classic feel.

Unknown said...

adorable! fantastic details :) the cupcake eating is the best part!!

Anna^ said...

Amazing!Adorable!Fabulous!
I loved everything!
And the little one is sooooo cute :)))

Unknown said...

I'm inspired! I love everything about this party!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

pockets full of sunshine All rights reserved © Blog Milk - Powered by Blogger